Shannon Berrow, RMT, believes that a therapist is not “fixing”, rather facilitating, a patient’s body in its healing process. For Shannon this is achieved through touch, tissue manipulation, encouragement of breath, body awareness, patient education and recommendations for self-care.
Shannon’s journey into holistic healing began in 2009 with Reiki training while travelling in Australia, following a successful six-year career in the advertising industry.
Before becoming a Registered Massage Therapist, Shannon completed a 700-hr Spa Therapy Program at the Vancouver School of Bodywork & Massage. She practiced for two years as a Holistic Massage and Bodywork Practitioner in Whistler, British Columbia at the gorgeous Scandinavia Spa Whistler and ran her mobile and home-based massage business. During that time she completed additional studies in Movement Patterning, Advanced Deep Tissue Strategies & Techniques, “Deep Flow” massage and Shiatsu.
Her desire to learn more about the human body and help her clients on a long-term basis led her to Halifax for the 2,200-hour Massage Therapy diploma program at the Canadian College of Massage & Hydrotherapy. There she thrived in musculoskeletal anatomy, clinical assessment and student clinic, graduated with honours and represented her class as Valedictorian.
Shannon’s interest of specialization lies in fascial release and temporomandibular joint dysfunction (TMJD). Each treatment will be customized to the client based on their unique needs, and may incorporate fascial techniques, Swedish and deep tissue massage, trigger point release, joint release and mobilizations, stretching, strengthening and/or Reiki. Depending on a client’s condition, symptoms and progress, clients may be referred to other health care practitioners, such as chiropractic, physiotherapy, acupuncture, naturopathy or osteopathy for complementary care.
Education & Workshops:
- SJA Standard First Aid CPR-C with AED (August 2016)
- Yogassage certification (June 2016)
- Fascial Approaches: Shoulder (May 2016)
- Fascial Approaches: Head, Neck & Jaw (April 2016)
- The Way of the Heart Level I & II (September 2015)
- 2,200-hour Massage Therapy Diploma, Canadian College of Massage & Hydrotherapy, graduation with honours (May 2015)
- Advanced Deep Tissue strategies & techniques for the Low Back & Pelvis (November 2012)
- Deep Flow Level 2 - Upper Back, Shoulders, Neck & Chest (June 2012)
- Table Shiatsu - Advanced Techniques (April 2012)
- Introduction to Movement Patterning (March 2012)
- 700-hour Spa Therapy Diploma, Vancouver School of Bodywork & Massage (June 2010)
- Hot Stone Massage certificate (April 2010)
- Leve II Tibetan Reiki Method of Natural Healing (March 2009)
- Level I Usui & Tibetan Reiki Method of Natural Healing (January 2009)
Shannon is an active member in good standing of the College of Massage Therapists of British Columbia.